Monday, October 4, 2010

Springsteen and A Raspberry Tart

Today is October 4th, and October 4th is not one of my best days.  It's the anniversary of the day our mom died.  Even so, I was happy today and tried to do fun things that remind me of her.  So here's what I did...

Played a little Bruce Springsteen this morning - good and loud.  Mom was a big fan.  We both thought the "Dancing In the Dark" video was shot live at a concert, and didn't find out until years later that the girl pulled up on stage was actually Courteney Cox.  We were bummed.

Put on a pair of her earrings (she always wore big hoops).  I bought us both a pair one year - hers were olive green and mine were lavender.  Eventually I lost one of mine, so I wore the green ones today. 

Grabbed a coffee to go at Cafe Orlin.  When she visited NY while I was in college, we went to Orlin and sat outside on a warm spring night.  Two guys got in a fight directly across the street from us and smashed a beer bottle on a sign post.  Way to make a good impression of New York, guys.  She ordered a Cafe Latte and pronounced it with the accent on the last syllable of each word: caFAY laTAY.  Cracked me up.

Had lunch at Yaffa on the next block.  She liked it there too and it's one of my old favorites.  Wrote her a little note like I do every year.  When I finished writing, I checked the time on my phone and it was 3:06, the number of the house I grew up in.  Made me smile. 

Walked over to Veniero's and ordered two raspberry tarts.  The best!  This is my yearly tradition because my mom loved that place.  I take one home for myself (of course) and leave the other outside on the ledge along with my note.  Seems there is always someone standing there or sitting in a car watching me while I do this.  Suppose they wonder what I'm up to, but that's the way it goes.  Not to mention the folks at Veniero's.  I imagine they find it a little odd as well, especially if they ever bother to read the notes.  Heh.

Bought myself a pair of boots.  I stood pigeon-toed as I checked them out in the mirror.  For some reason that was my usual stance when I tried on clothes in high school, and my mom always teased me about it.  Apparently I still do it.

Just finished off my raspberry tart.  Deeeee-licious.  Night, mom.  Love you.




  

2 comments:

  1. You are adorable and wonderful and I know you feel your mom with you always. That raspberry tart looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete