Sunday, April 17, 2011

Thank You, Mr. C

If you don't live in New York, or even if you do, you may not be familiar with Bill Cunningham.  He photographs night life and fashion on the streets of New York City. On his bike.  He's 80ish, and has been doing this for decades. 

A new documentary entitled 'Bill Cunningham New York' tells his story.  I saw it today and haven't stopped thinking about it.  Although I knew of him and his pictures, like most people, that was about all I knew.  But this really isn't a fashion movie - it's a Bill movie.

I so hate to overly hype films and describe them to death, but I just felt the need to say a little something about it.  Because honestly, it made me want to run down the street, and wrap my arms around this city that is New York.  To dance with all the loners and misfits that make the world wonderful.  To do things I love.  It broke my heart, and filled it up to the point of bursting. 

Thank you, Bill Cunningham.  Truly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYqiLJBXbss

2 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing. Where did you see it? In some giant cineplex or a cozy quirky theater? I'm trying to visualize...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, a small independent theater. If it's not playing anywhere around you, it will probably be on Netflix or something soon. I think you'd really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete