Saturday, January 29, 2011

Betrayed by a Manwich

My mom made the BEST sloppy joes. 

Hands down, the best.  All my life I ate them.  On softie buns from the bakery with a whole bunch of crinkle cut dill pickles.  Potato chips and chip dip on the side.  Glass of milk.  And if it was a birthday party, there was Kool-Aid to drink.  Other kids' moms made sloppy joes too, but they never measured up.  Sometimes they were too sweet, or maybe they were stingy with the pickles. 

Unfortunately, I never did learn how to make them.  I could guess at some of the basic ingredients, I suppose, but in what combination and quantities?  It was one of those "a little of this, a little of that" recipes that you can't really write down.  Even after discussing it with my sister several times, we only came up with a vague recipe at best.    

Then, while visiting my brother this December, something surprising happened.  He made sloppy joes from a can of Manwich, with a little chopped onion thrown in for good measure.  And with all the requisite side items, pickles and chips included. 

They were really good.  Dare I say, almost identical to my mom's.  I realize that Manwich is not a revelation for most people, considering it's been around forever.  But in all my 38 years, I'd never tried it (at least not knowingly).  I couldn't believe it.  Sloppy joes almost as good as Mom used to make...in a can?!

Betrayed by a Manwich.  Sorry, Mom, hope you don't mind.  hee-hee!  ; )


3 comments:

  1. I'm sure your mom is laughing....it's probably been Manwich all along...one of mom's many many secrets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! That would be something alright. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh..you totally made me hungry for sloppy joes now. With crinkle cut pickles. Mmm mmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete