Wednesday, September 7, 2011

You're SOOOO Welcome!!

It's been raining for the last few days, so the subways are soggy and humid, just like all the commuters crammed inside.  Today was especially crowded at rush hour and I let a train or two pass before deciding to squeeze in.  Still, even that one was packed.

A dad and his three young girls got in at the next stop.  All of them had crazy, messy hair and rain spattered clothes.  They were huddled around the pole trying to hang on and stay upright.  With only one stop to go, I got up and offered one of the girls my seat.  She was probably four years old if I had to guess.  

In a squeaky voice, unprompted and very enthusiastically, she exclaimed, "Thank you SOOOO much!!"

It was so cute and unexpected that I laughed out loud, and felt compelled to tell her dad, "That's a sweet girl you have there."

Now, it's a little sad that this would be deemed a newsworthy event, but I don't see too many kids with good manners these days.  There are some, of course, but all too rare.  Anyway, it made my day and I honestly could have hugged her.  And her dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment